The Piney Grove Fire and Rescue Department was formed and incorporated in 1967 as the local community acknowledged the growing need for fire and rescue services in the Northeast Kernersville and surrounding area. At the time of its inception, the department was comprised solely of volunteer personnel. In fact, members of the department and citizens of the community came together an erected the original fire station located at 1109 Piney Grove Road. Today, the department has progressed into a full-service organization that responds to fire, rescue, hazardous materials and medical incidents that occur within the Piney Grove Fire and Rescue District. The department also responds with various other agencies, providing assistance to many other areas and communities.
Currently, the department operates out of two fire stations and maintains a 6/9 ISO rating. The department is a certified medium rescue provider by the North Carolina Association of Rescue and EMS. Numerous projects are currently underway to increase service delivery within the district as well as improve ratings with the North Carolina Department of Insurance.